Hat’s off to Cad Masters blog for spotting this one. Autodesk AEC has released the Civil 3D 2012 Transportation Extensions on their support website. Often these sort of add-ins don’t get much of my attention, but this one is all right. Here’s the details from the Autodesk Readme:
- Alignment geometry checking – users can check alignment geometry for tangency, and automatically automatically apply corrections.
- Show and Hide Labels – users can show and hide all Civil 3D labels.
- High and Low Points on a Surface – users can automatically generate Civil 3D point objects at surface high/low points.
- Export Civil Data to survey formats – users can export Civil 3D alignments, profiles, and corridors to a TDS .rd5 roadway file and/or .tp5 template file.
- Import Raw Data – users can import a Star*Net .dat file.
- Surface creation using photogrammetric data – simple import functionality for surface creation from layer based AutoCAD 3D linework and points (lines, arcs, polylines, and point entities residing on user selected layers). Additionally, the utility allows users to append AutoCAD entities to an existing surface.
- 11 Reports – globally beneficial (I have no idea what this means)
While I hope they will incorporate other raw formats in the future, this toolset looks pretty cool. I’m not complaining, I just wonder why they didn’t add this to the 2012 product.