Today 3Dconnexion® have announced the immediate release of their new product. The SpaceMouse Wireless, the worlds first wireless 3D mouse, utilising 2.4Ghz technology in combination for the first time with their patented 6DoF sensor. 3Dconnexion are giving the users what they want with this release, a conclusive 50% of surveyed users stated they were interested in wireless features for their peripherals.
Antonio Pascucci, vice president of products at 3Dconnexion had this to say:
“We are excited to introduce SpaceMouse Wireless, the world’s first wireless 3D mouse. It’s designed to meet the evolving needs of 3D software users by combining 3Dconnexion’s superior 3D navigation experience with optimized 2.4GHz wireless technology for a real-time connection to digital 3D content and a clutter-free desktop.”
The SpaceMouse Wireless follows in the footsteps of the entry level Space Navigator, but adds a new level of convenience & style. When I was first told about this device I had two questions.
- The battery life needs to be respectable
- The needs to be a usb port to hook it up to should you forget to charge the puppy up.
3Dconnexion have ticked both of those boxes. They claim a 1 month battery life based on normal usage of 8 hours a day for 5 days a week along with the capability to continue using the device while its charging via the supplied USB cable.
Laptop users will be happy as well since the wireless dongle supplied with the SpaceMouse is extremely slimline, you will barely notice it plugged into the side of your laptop.
What do 3Dconnexion have to say?
3Dconnexion provided the following bullet points & specifications as part of their press release. I’ve copied them here for your convenience:
- Six-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) navigation. Gently manipulate the SpaceMouse Wireless’ controller cap to simultaneously pan, zoom and rotate digital models or camera views for a smooth, intuitive 3D experience.
- 3Dconnexion 2.4GHz wireless technology. The SpaceMouse Wireless communicates with your computer via a micro-USB receiver (included) ensuring a discreet and reliable connection to your 3D content.
- One month of design on a single charge. The SpaceMouse Wireless’ lithium-ion polymer battery lasts up to a month1 before it requires recharging. When it does, simply connect the micro-USB cable (included) and continue working without interruption.
- Ease of use. Each of the SpaceMouse Wireless’ two conveniently positioned buttons open their own on-screen radial menu for mouse click access to application commands.
- Modern design. The SpaceMouse Wireless sports a small footprint, high-quality construction and a stylish brushed steel base.
The Nitty Gritty
- 3Dconnexion six-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) sensor
- 3Dconnexion 2.4GHz wireless technology
- Lithium-ion polymer battery
- Micro-USB connectivity (USB receiver and recharging cable supplied)
- Simultaneous data and recharging
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 78 x 78 x 54mm / 3.1 x 3.1 x 2.1 in.
- Weight: 424g / 0.96 lbs.
- 2-year warranty
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 x86 and x64 (all editions; RTM)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (all editions; RTM and SP1)
- Windows Vista x86 and x64 (all editions; RTM, SP1 and SP2)
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (SP1, SP2)
- Windows XP Professional (SP2, SP3)
- Mac OS X 10.6 to v. 10.8
Pricing and Availability
This sexy little unit has a recommended retail price of $129 US and is available immediately from the usual outlets.
For more information please scoot over to the 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse web page.
3Dconnexion have supplied one of these for Design & Motion to play around with. I’ve been using it for the last two weeks & its quite simply lovely. I’ll post back with a more thorough review in the next week or so, including a look at their new driver & user interface. In the meantime just marvel at its simplicity.